Dutch cabinet toughens naturalisation rules

3rd March 2012, Comments 7 comments

Foreigners who wish become Dutch citizens will be required to earn at least a minimum income under a new law the Dutch government proposed on Friday.

They will also need to have two years of vocational training or have sufficient work experience. In addition they will have to surrender their original nationality, whenever that is legally possible.

The proposed legislation will still have to be passed by both houses of parliament.

© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

• Ella posted:

on 8th March 2012, 09:42:48 - Reply

And the dutch language is that still part of the deal?. Like this country but its very unecessary to make speaking Dutch compulsory. Where else can I use this language? Everyone speaks Englih anyway!
  • Nick posted:

on 8th March 2012, 00:20:34 - Reply

It will be discriminativ law again. Some can keep their original passports, others have to give it back. :(
    I am talking abut people from Marocco and similar countries. They have perfect excuse, all others have to resign from their original citizenships.
  • Louise posted:

on 7th March 2012, 17:45:59 - Reply

To Cat: When I got Canadian Citizenship I was not allowed to keep my Dutch passport, so if you can keep Canadian passport and get a Dutch passport as well, I will go back to the Netherlands as a Canadian and get a Dutch passport as well. I am sure I qualify on the language requirements :-) Good luck, don't think it will work. Canada is happy to get you back though.
  • Louise posted:

on 7th March 2012, 17:20:35 - Reply

Mathew: Why did you go to the Netherlands nowadays one can find out about a climate/weather . I had to give up my Dutch citizenship to get a Canadian passport, I chose it that way. Canada has a lot of bad weather as well. I never regretted moving and am happy with my adopted country. Nederland does not need you so go home. Amen.
  • Lana posted:

on 7th March 2012, 15:18:31 - Reply

So, as you see, the minimum salary in 2012 is € 1.446,60 per maand

Wettelijk minimumloon per 1 januari 2012

Nieuwsbericht | 09-11-2011

De brutobedragen van het wettelijk minimumloon en het minimumjeugdloon stijgen 1 januari 2012.

Het wettelijk brutominimumloon (WML) voor werknemers van 23 jaar en ouder bij een volledig dienstverband wordt per 1 januari 2012:
    • € 1.446,60 per maand
    • € 333,85 per week
    • € 66,77 per dag
  • Mathew posted:

on 7th March 2012, 12:05:45 - Reply

giving up my australian citizenship to become part of this shitty country?.. i think i'll just move back to australia..the weather is shit in NL anyway
  • Cat posted:

on 7th March 2012, 11:31:37 - Reply

I'd be interested in reading the full proposal to know exactly the minimum salary requirement, etc. I'll soon be in that process and as a Canadian citizen this is something I will go through with if and only if I can keep my Canadian citizenship as I am registered with a Dutch citizen. If that exception changes then I will forget about applying for my Dutch citizenship. This article sparked my interest but is very uninformative, would you care in elaborating Expatica? Please!