Dutch Muslim attorneys should also rise for judge

10th September 2008, Comments 8 comments

Dutch Justice Minister says rising when a judge enters a court room is a common way to show respect for the court and no exceptions should be made.

10 September 2008

THE HAGUE -- All Dutch attorneys, including Muslims, should rise when a judge enters a court room, Dutch Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin told Dutch parliament on Tuesday.

Ballin said the Dutch Council for Jurisprudence felt that rising for a judge is "the common way to show respect for the court and legal authority".

The minister was responding to a question posed by legislator Henk Kamp, who inquired about a news report which said a Rotterdam court had made an agreement with a Muslim attorney that he could remain seated when a judge enters the courtroom.

Mohammed Enait, who was sworn in as an attorney in August, said his religion prohibited him from rising for other people. Enait has remained seated as the judge entered.

Last week, the Rotterdam court decided that although the behavioral code requires attorneys to rise when a judge enters the court, exceptions could be made "in extraordinary situations" such as that of Enait.

Ballin told parliament that the Dutch Council for Jurisprudence would inform all involved parties of its position that no exceptions could be made.

[dpa / Expatica]

• james posted:

on 13th September 2008, 01:42:07 - Reply

Its just another example of Muslims slowly attempting to take over the Western world, while we all just accomodate. They openly hate us and everthing we stand for. Why again do we let Muslims into our country. Let in the Christian Iraqi's not the Muslims. I'm not religious but I find Islam very sick and disturbing. How could a religion be based on a man who married a six year old and had sex with her when she was 9.. have you looked at a 9 year old lately! Mohammed was a bandit and a pedophile.
    No wonder Islam is so screwed up.
  • skew posted:

on 10th September 2008, 18:03:55 - Reply

I just stumbled upon this blog by mistake. I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THE FUSS THIS IS MAKING. Honestly, the article to be listed as the 1st entry on Expatica news and then to attract so much attention from the Dutch Justice minister, this is unbelievable. All because of an idiot (who happens to be Muslim) has decided to take a stupid attitude! That's what it's all about.
    I'm an Arab (Christian) and know for a fact that lawyers in the Arab world have to rise when a judge enters the court room. This applies to all nationalities and religions.
    It will definitely help to put things into context and not be guided by some political or racist statements. Especially during these times. Cheers!
  • Just a guy who wants to live in peace posted:

on 10th September 2008, 17:30:30 - Reply

I find it really annoying when one Muslim takes it upon himself to make a statement that affects all other Muslims. I am also a Muslim and I don’t see any problem in rising to show my respect to someone. In fact I do that all the time as my parents (who are also Muslims) taught me to do so..........!!!

In a lot of Islamic countries this is even considered common courtesy to standup when an elderly enters a room. Why then is it suddenly an issue now??

I agree with Neshat... There are already too many problems in the Netherlands caused by such statements which are labeled under Islam.
  • Hans posted:

on 10th September 2008, 17:20:33 - Reply

No, not the two you name Neshat but the millions who have arrived in Christian Europe and failed to intergrate over the past couple of decades. IS THAT DEFINED ENOUGH FOR YOU.
  • Neshat Aqlan posted:

on 10th September 2008, 14:31:06 - Reply

Tony, define immigrants, is it the crown princess Maxima who is born and breed in Argentina? Or the famous Dutch baller who was born to an immigrant family? As humans do we just sit back and allow people from the extremes of the left and right to tip the scale or should we be the voice and actions and reasoning?
  • tony posted:

on 10th September 2008, 13:52:28 - Reply

here we go again, give immigrants an cm and they want a kilometre, softly softly, bend over backwards to accommodate, after giving them a better life, it is human nature to take over, especially cultures were it is dog eat dog, so middle class niaeve people, read some reality books, suckers!!!!
  • Unity posted:

on 10th September 2008, 11:38:59 - Reply

One principle must be maintained. Expections will turn order into chaos, remember the number of sects is growing and not reducing.
  • Neshat Aqlan posted:

on 10th September 2008, 11:38:16 - Reply

From one Muslim to another "PLEASE GO GET A LIFE!"

I think this lawyer has taken it a bit far. I am also a Muslim and I see no problem in rising to show respect for a person. Rising is a form of respect, as shaking hands with someone. A form of recognizing the other persons hard work and/ or social level.

I pose this question to the lawyer, why is it when you see the King of Saudi Arabia or Sheiks of Gulf Countries people their lower counter parts kiss them or kiss their hands? Why is it when an elderly man walks in a room all those younger then him stand up to shake his hand and greet him? Why does this make it any different in the Netherlands, is it because the said person is not Muslim?

I can not see a difference, and if you would remark because she/ he is Muslim then you are racist and have no place in the Dutch society period!

Please we have enough agitators in this country who spread negative images, do not be another Ali B!

From one Muslim to another!

For those who read this article I hope you do not pass judgment on us for one persons urological stance!