Dutch-Libyan talks over girl's kidnapping

23rd August 2004, Comments 0 comments

23 August 2004 , AMSTERDAM — Diplomatic efforts between the Dutch Foreign Affairs Ministry and the Libyan government appear to offer the only chance for the return to the Netherlands of a girl who was kidnapped and taken to the North African nation by her father earlier this month. The man is suspected of murdering the child's mother.

23 August 2004

AMSTERDAM — Diplomatic efforts between the Dutch Foreign Affairs Ministry and the Libyan government appear to offer the only chance for the return to the Netherlands of a girl who was kidnapped and taken to the North African nation by her father earlier this month. The man is suspected of murdering the child's mother.

The Netherlands does not have a legal assistance treaty with Libya and a public prosecution OM spokesman said on Monday the only hope now is that Libya co-operates in tracking down the man who took his two-year-old girl from the Dutch town of Goor.

According to Islamic law, fathers or the man's family have legal custody of their children and Libya has not signed the International Child Abduction convention, newspaper De Telegraaf reported.

The man is also considered the main suspect in the murder of Isra van der Burg's 25-year-old mother on 9 August. The woman was found dead in her home. She had been choked to death, news agency ANP reported.

It is believed the man fled the Netherlands to Libya on the day of the killing and the prosecution spokesman said the girl's return will be a long procedure.

As there is no treaty between the Netherlands and Libya governing legal assistance, diplomacy is the only method to obtain the extradition and prosecution of Isra's father.

The girl's whereabouts in Libya are not yet known and the OM has asked the Foreign Ministry to broach the matter with Libyan authorities. 

Meanwhile, a 28-year-old Libyan, with an address in Rotterdam, has had his remand detention extended for 10 days on charges he assisted the father to kidnap the girl. His alleged role in the abduction and murder is being further investigated.

Almelo Court will rule on Wednesday whether to extend the remand detention of a co-accused 30-year-old Dutch woman.

The woman from The Hague is accused of accompanying the father to Libya with the girl before returning to the Netherlands on 10 August.

[Copyright Expatica News 2004]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article