Doubt raised over new Van Gogh witness

29th April 2005, Comments 0 comments

29 April 2005 , AMSTERDAM — The AIVD has again raised doubts about a man who claims to have warned the security service Theo van Gogh was at threat, requesting the public prosecutor's office (OM) to re-screen the witness to check his reliability.

29 April 2005

AMSTERDAM — The AIVD has again raised doubts about a man who claims to have warned the security service Theo van Gogh was at threat, requesting the public prosecutor's office (OM) to re-screen the witness to check his reliability.

AIVD chief Sybrand van Hulst said on television programme Netwerk on Thursday night the security service has asked the OM to investigate whether the man invented his statement.

It was revealed on Wednesday that the OM had been given a statement indicating the AIVD was warned about Van Gogh's murder.

The AIVD claimed the Moroccan man — who is reportedly a friend of murder suspect Mohammed B. — was lying.

"We have checked his story, but have come to the conclusion that he never had contact with the AIVD," a security service spokesman said.

Van Gogh was shot and stabbed on 2 November last year and the OM claims that several people were aware that Mohammed B. was planning to kill the filmmaker, known for his anti-Islamic statements.

More information is expected to come forward when 12 men appear in court next Tuesday for alleged links to suspected terror network Hofstadgroep.

B., a suspected Islamic militant, is believed to have been in contact with the network prior to the murder.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2005]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article