"Criminals" behind abduction of Dutch aid worker
The abduction of a Dutch aid worker and his Afghan driver in Afghanistan is the work of criminals say local police. The two men were forced out of their vehicle at gunpoint in the remote Takhar Province on Monday. The two men were believed to be travelling towards the neighbouring province of Kunduz. Reports say their abductors took them to Kunduz.
The Afghan police say most abductions of foreigners in Afghanistan are carried out by criminals and criminals are active in the Durahi Bangi area where the latest kidnapping took place. The victims are usually sold on to the Taliban.
However, a spokesperson for the Afghan Interior Ministry says it is "too early" to say who is responsible for the abduction.
The family of the Dutchman has been informed about his abduction. However, the Dutch Foreign Ministry has not released his name so as not to put him in further danger. It is thought he worked with the handicapped, but this has not been confirmed. Dutch Foreign Minister Uri Rosenthal told Dutch news station RTL Nieuws on Tuesday that the Netherlands will not pay a ransom for the hostage.
Several dozen foreigners have been kidnapped in Afghanistan since the 2001 US-led invasion. The majority are released safe and well.
However earlier this month British aid worker Linda Norgrove who was kidnapped with three Afghan colleagues at the end of September, died during an attempt by the US army to rescue her.
© Radio Netherlands Worldwide