'Crime boss' Holleeder breaks silence

10th January 2007, Comments 0 comments

10 January 2007, AMSTERDAM — Suspected crime boss Willem Holleeder – who has broken his silence for the first time - did not have permission to speak to the press, a spokesman from the Justice Ministry said on Tuesday.

10 January 2007

AMSTERDAM — Suspected crime boss Willem Holleeder – who has broken his silence for the first time - did not have permission to speak to the press, a spokesman from the Justice Ministry said on Tuesday.

Holleeder is being detained in the maximum security Vught jail and should have first asked permission to give an interview to crime journalist John van den Heuvel.

The interview was broadcast on TROS on Tuesday night. Telegraaf journalist Van den Heuvel said Holleeder had told him last week that he would relent to repeated requests for an interview.

The Justice Ministry is now considering whether it should take legal action against Holleeder.

Holleeder is suspected of blackmailing and murdering business leaders in the Netherlands, but denied the allegations in the interview.

He also said "that it is not easy if you are portrayed as a sort of monster in the media and you know that you have done anything".

Holleeder said he is looking forward to his trial and the possibility to speak to the judge so that he can finally defend himself.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2006]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article