Brazil grants extradition of top Melchers kidnap suspect

21st December 2006, Comments 0 comments

21 December 2006, AMSTERDAM — A Brazilian court has ruled that the main suspect in the kidnapping of a Dutch millionaire's daughter can be extradited to the Netherlands.

21 December 2006

AMSTERDAM — A Brazilian court has ruled that the main suspect in the kidnapping of a Dutch millionaire's daughter can be extradited to the Netherlands.

Ten judges at the hearing in Brasilia on Tuesday ruled that Izaan M. should be extradited to the Netherlands to face charges over the kidnapping of Claudia Melchers.

A spokeswoman for the Amsterdam public prosecution office (OM) said on Thursday the suspect could still lodge an appeal. But she said the chance that the ruling would be overturned is very small.

It is expected that the suspect will be extradited to the Netherlands at the end of February or the start of March.

Claudia Melchers was kidnapped on 12 September last year from her home Amsterdam Oud-Zuid.

The kidnappers demanded a ransom of 300kg, but Melchers promised instead EUR 5 million.

She said she would pay the money after her release. Three days later, Melchers was freed near Arnhem. The ransom was never paid.

Amsterdam Court sentenced at the start of November three co-suspects in the kidnapping.

The 38-year-old Quintin W. was given six years jail, Patricio W., 45, three years jail (one of which was suspended) and the 40-year-old Louellar R. was given a two-year sentence (six months of which was suspended).

The case against Lorenzo M. has been adjourned until his cousin Izaan is extradited to the Netherlands.

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2006]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article