Boy, 5, suspended over 'sexual abuse'
20 November 2003 AMSTERDAM — A five-year-old boy has been suspended from a Nijmegen school following allegations that he sexually abused classmates.The boy was suspended from the Prins Clausschool at the start of October and has not yet been allowed to return, newspaper Algemeen Dagblad reported on Thursday.It is alleged that 10 to 15 pupils were the victim of sexual abuse. The boy is accused of feeling the genitals of equal-age pupils and pushing sticks into their anus. He is also alleged to have kicked a
20 November 2003
AMSTERDAM — A five-year-old boy has been suspended from a Nijmegen school following allegations that he sexually abused classmates.
The boy was suspended from the Prins Clausschool at the start of October and has not yet been allowed to return, newspaper Algemeen Dagblad reported on Thursday.
It is alleged that 10 to 15 pupils were the victim of sexual abuse. The boy is accused of feeling the genitals of equal-age pupils and pushing sticks into their anus. He is also alleged to have kicked and punched other children.
Social workers have been called in to work with the boy and his alleged victims, but justice officials could not confirm on Wednesday whether an investigation would be launched. A police complaint will not be lodged because the boy is too young to be prosecuted.
Parents and the Education Inspectorate have sharply criticised the school administration, claiming that the Prins Clausschool — in the Dukenburg neighbourhood — said it should have taken action after the first reported incident on 28 August.
The inspectorate said it was only contacted about the matter in the second half of October and that if it had been contacted earlier, it might have possible to prevent unrest.
Despite the allegations, police are concerned that taking testimony from the children will yield very little because they have already spoken too much with social workers and might have been influenced. Medical authority GGD has also said it cannot be determined whether children under the age of 12 are telling the truth about such incidents.
Meanwhile, the education inspectorate is trying to find a new school for the boy, but that is also proving difficult because schools are not willing to accept him. "We think that a normal school is suitable. Only if new problems arise will a special school come into the picture," it said.
The school board said after the first incident was reported in August, it called in social workers to investigate the matter based on their own observations. The first victim was transferred to another group and five weeks later the school was convinced of the seriousness of the situation and suspended the boy.
School director J van der Logt said there were indications of unusual, investigative sexual behaviour and called together an advice team made up of the police and GGD medical staff. The inspectorate also offered its services.
Parents were informed of the matter shortly before the Autumn vacation, which led to the reporting of additional incidents. Many parents said their children had shown angst or recalcitrant behaviour or had started wetting the bed again. The victims were in various school groups.
The board of directors at the Prins Clausschool does not wish to officially react in the hope that normality will soon return to the school.
[Copyright Expatica News 2003]
Subject: Dutch news