Billion batteries recycled since 1992

23rd May 2005, Comments 0 comments

23 May 2005, AMSTERDAM — The 1 billionth battery was being processed by the central battery sorting depot in Ermelo on Monday.

23 May 2005

AMSTERDAM — The 1 billionth battery was being processed by the central battery sorting depot in Ermelo on Monday.

The nation's used batteries have been collected at the depot since the system was set up in 1992. The batteries are sorted and then recycled.

Figures indicate that 80 percent of all used batteries ended up at the depot last year, while the remaining 20 percent ended up in the rubbish bin.

Despite the fact the Batteries Foundation (Stibat) director, Jan Bartels, was pleased by the results, he said the number of batteries ending up at the depot needed to be increased.

The Stibat foundation co-ordinates the collection of batteries, website nieuws.nl reported.

The 1 billionth battery was to pass through the sorting machine at Ermelo on Monday to end up in the hands of the Environment Ministry's waste disposal boss, Ton Holtkamp.

The battery will be taken back to the Dutch nation's political capital The Hague, where it will serve as a permanent reminder of recycling efforts.

Battery collections cost the Dutch business sector EUR 7 million per year.

[Copyright Expatica News 2005]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article