Amersfoort fire under control

23rd October 2007, Comments 0 comments

23 October 2007, AMSTERDAM – The devastating fire in the Armando Museum in Amersfoort was under control on Tuesday morning. The fire is no longer in danger of spreading to other buildings. The fire brigade is still working to extinguish the blaze, says a spokesperson for the municipality.

23 October 2007

AMSTERDAM – The devastating fire in the Armando Museum in Amersfoort was under control on Tuesday morning. The fire is no longer in danger of spreading to other buildings. The fire brigade is still working to extinguish the blaze, says a spokesperson for the municipality.

Residents of the immediate vicinity were not allowed to return to their homes last night. 14 buildings on the Krommestraat, Nieuweweg and Breestraat were evacuated and part of the area was cordoned off. The municipality provided shelter to those who were unable to stay with friends or family.

On Monday evening the power was shut down in the area of the fire as a precaution. An information session for residents is planned for 9 am today. The press will be informed of the state of affairs at 10 am.

A fire safety expert said on Radio 1 that the effects of the fire would have been limited had a sprinkler system been installed in the museum. Eye witnesses claim that the fire brigade took a long time to arrive on the scene.

The cause of the blaze that broke out in the 19th century Elleboogskerk on the Langegracht Monday afternoon is still unknown. The building housed the Armando Museum, devoted to the post-war visual artist and writer Armando. No injuries are reported.

The building, the museum collection and the church tower are all regarded as lost. The museum was hosting an exhibit of pieces on loan from other museums and private collections when the fire broke out.

Both Armando and the museum director called the situation a disaster on Monday afternoon. The total value of the collection is estimated at about EUR 3 million. Two nearby buildings, one of which served as a day care centre for mentally disabled persons, have been burnt to the ground.

Tests by the fire brigade indicate that no high concentrations of toxic fumes were released by the fire. Residents are being advised to keep their doors and windows shut because of the smoke, however.

[Copyright Expatica News 2007]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article