Ajax accepts KNVB ruling under protest
Ajax’s executive has said it deeply regrets KNVB regarding last week’s abandoned Dutch Cup tie between Ajax and AZ Alkmaar.
AZ goalie Esteban was sent off after he twice kicked an Ajax 'supporter' who had ran out onto the pitch and attacked him. After the red card was shown, AZ manager Gertjan Verbeek ordered his players off the field.
Earlier on Wednesday, the KNVB proposed a settlement which would include one conditional home game without spectators for Ajax and a fine of 10,000 euros with a two-year probationary period. In addition, the Ajax-AZ cup tie will be replayed in full without spectators No sanctions would have been imposed on the Alkmaar club.
Ajax Financial Director Jeroen Slop said on the Ajax website that However, he said the club would accept the ruling and not file an appeal.
Ajax right back Gregory van der Wiel who had put his club in the lead before the match was abandoned, tweeted on Wednesday:
AZ has said it will not react to the ruling until Thursday.
© Radio Netherlands Worldwide