ACCESSing The Hague
Are you new to The Hague or surrounding areas and looking for practical information and advice?ACCESS has been assisting and supporting the international community in the Netherlands for 20 years. Being staffed by enthusiastic volunteers from both local and international backgrounds puts us in a unique position to offer you information and advice - our Dutch staff contribute a lifetime of local knowledge and our International staff were all newcomers at one stage so can understand just what you're going through.
The following ACCESS workshop is a collection of things we wish we'd known when we first arrived, or have discovered during our time here. It has been designed to let you know that there is always plenty of help available, and to show you exactly where to find this when you need it.
Morning – Practical Information
We will spend the morning covering the essentials that every newcomer needs to know, and equip you with plenty of practical advice and tips. Rather than explore all topics in great depth, we aim to give you an overview of what type of information there is available, and where you can find help when you personally need it at any stage of your life in The Netherlands.
Afternoon – Out and About
The afternoon will begin with a lunch together, with time for your questions to be answered personally by our staff and a chance to get to know other participants. Then we will explore some key locations in The Hague, including the library and the Expat Desk at City Hall.
• Topic 1: Introduction & Overview
• Workshop overview & get to know each other.
• Topic 2: When in doubt – ACCESS
• About us and our services.
• Topic 3: Seek first to Understand
• Culture Shock, The Netherlands & The Dutch.
• Topic 4: Getting Settled & Daily Life
• Lots of practical information.
• Topic 5: Expect the Unexpected
• Health, Insurance & general safety/security.
• Topic 6: Home & Family Life
• Your home, relationships & children.
• Topic 7: A Fresh Start for You
• Finding work, personal development & more.
• Topic 8: Get Out & About
• Transport, Events, Entertainment & Sport.
• Topic 9: Dutch language Basics
• To learn or not to learn, courses & a few tips.
• Topic 10: Tap into Expat Resources
• Visit to the library and Expat Desk at City Hall.
Date: Every last Friday of the month: 27th June, 26th September
Time: 10:00 to 15:00, including lunch
Venue: ACCESS Office, Plein 24, The Hague (then local area in the afternoon)
Cost: €40 per person including lunch, registration essential
Trainer: Sessions will be led by ACCESS trainers
Registration: Please book online, email or phone (070) 346 2525
Terms & Conditions:
Your place on the course is confirmed only upon receipt of payment. The course fee is refundable until 2 weeks prior to course date. A cancellation fee of 50% will be charged within 2 weeks of course date. Within 24 hours, course fee is non-refundable.