ABN informs clients about situation

10th May 2007, Comments 0 comments

10 May 2007, AMSTERDAM - ABN Amro is informing its customers about the takeover battle in which the bank is embroiled. On Thursday the bank placed an open letter in several national newspapers. The letter from ABN Amro Nederland CEO Jan-Peter Schmittmann is also posted on the abnamro.nl website.

10 May 2007

AMSTERDAM - ABN Amro is informing its customers about the takeover battle in which the bank is embroiled. On Thursday the bank placed an open letter in several national newspapers. The letter from ABN Amro Nederland CEO Jan-Peter Schmittmann is also posted on the abnamro.nl website.

ABN Amro hopes the publicity offensive will assuage unrest among account holders.

Schmittmann says in his letter that the outcome of the takeover battle cannot be foreseen at the moment. "But apart from that I would like to stress that we are here for you, and will remain here for you. We will continue to provide our customarily high level of service. You can hold me and my 20,000 colleagues to that."

The CEO also invites customers with questions to write to his email address.

A spokesperson for ABN Amro said on Wednesday that several dozen customers so far had closed accounts because of concern for the bank's future.  "A limited number has done so," the spokesperson said.

De Nederlandsche Bank said earlier in the day on Wednesday that ABN Amro account holders have nothing to worry about. "ABN Amro is a strong bank," said DNB president Nout Wellink. "The Nederlandsche Bank will monitor closely that the interests of account holders will continue to be safe under any new circumstances."

[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2007]

Subject: Dutch news

0 Comments To This Article