15 injured in Maastricht hotel chlorine leak
17 January 2007, AMSTERDAM — A chlorine drum exploded in the Hotel L' Empereur in the Maastricht city centre on Wednesday morning injuring 15 people.
17 January 2007
AMSTERDAM — A chlorine drum exploded in the Hotel L' Empereur in the Maastricht city centre on Wednesday morning injuring 15 people.
Some 39 people reported breathing difficulties, 15 of whom were later treated in hospital. The victims suffered breathing problems, nausea and irritated eyes.
Witnesses said there was no panic and emergency services arrived on the scene quickly.
The fumes originated in the hotel cellar where a drum of chlorine exploded. The smell quickly spread throughout the hotel — as well as a restaurant and café, which were also evacuated.
Emergency services also sealed off the road in front of the hotel.
The chlorine leak is said to have occurred as different chemicals mixed together during renovation works in the basement, where a swimming pool is being constructed.
The fire brigade pumped the toxic fumes from the cellar to special drums which were later transported away.
Maastricht Mayor Gerd Leers paid a visit to the hotel on Wednesday afternoon and spoke with victims who had reported breathing difficulties. He later met with the hospitalised victims.
[Copyright Expatica News + ANP 2007]
Subject: Dutch news