editor's choice

NS fears empty trains

Insights into Dutch sexulality

Dutch unemployment up sharply

Listing of international schools in the Netherlands

Guide to public transport in the Netherlands

Expatica countries
Index Last Var.(%)
BEL 20 3083.51 0.32
DAX 9605.08 0.17
IBEX 30 10058.5 -1.04
CAC 40 4387.61 -0.20
FTSE 100 6806.86 -0.05
AEX 397.5 -0.20
DJIA 16272.65 0.46
Nasdaq 4318.933 0.63
FTSE MIB 20298.33 -0.11
TSX Composite 14214.35 0.18
ASX 5415.4 -0.10
Hang seng 22836.96 0.04
Straits Times 3110.78 0.45
ISEQ 20 836.3 0.23
EUR / USD 1.37976 0.67
EUR / GBP 0.82571 0.59
USD / GBP 0.598544 -0.10
Gold 1329.6 -0.13
Oil 108.9 -0.76
Silver 21.28 0.08
You are here: Home Finance & Business Business Starting a business in the Netherlands
Enlarge font Decrease font Text size

24/02/2012Starting a business in the Netherlands

Starting a business in the Netherlands Guidelines to starting your own business as a self-employed entrepreneur in the Netherlands from the Kamer van Koophandel.

Registration in the Dutch trade register is compulsory for every company and every legal entity, including 'freelance' and 'zzp' ('zelfstandige zonder personeel' or self-employed without staff).

Starting point
Before you visit the Chamber of Commerce to register your enterprise, you should have considered the following:

  • a permit to start a business in the Netherlands
  •  a business plan
  • legal form and trade name of your enterprise
  •  taxation and necessary insurance
  • business location, commercial lease
  • a ‘VAR’-statement from the Tax Administration, declaring you as a self-employed entrepreneur  
The IND does not weigh these criteria itself; the Ministry of Economic Affairs is requested to review your situation and to decide whether the business you intend to run will be economically interesting.

Starting your own business
If you do not have the Dutch nationality, and want to start a business in the Netherlands, you will have to comply with particular IND (Immigratie en Naturalisatie Dienst, the Dutch immigration authorities) formalities. Even if you are not obliged to register with the IND (for almost all EU nationals) please do so all the same, as it may come in quite handy for other purposes.

Dutch immigration authorities
The legal form of your enterprise makes no difference to the applicability of the rules by the Dutch immigration authorities: whether it is a one-man business, a Dutch private limited (BV), or a branch-office of a foreign company. The rules do not differ either, whether you start an enterprise shortly after arriving in the Netherlands, or after having been employed in the Netherlands for some time. However, rules and formalities do differ– broadly speaking for EU nationals and non-EU nationals. Please check also the IND Residence Wizard

Working on a self-employed basis when a EU, EEA and Swiss national
There are no specific IND formalities that have to be fulfilled for nationals of these states. Different rules apply for citizens of Bulgaria or Romania as long as restrictions on the Dutch labour market remain in force. Nationals of these countries are advised to apply for a residence permit, which will be useful in a number of situations. The procedure is called “Application for assessment under the EU community law (proof of lawful residence)”.

Nationals of non-EU and non-EEA countries

If you are not a national of an EU or EEA country and not Swiss, you will need to apply for a residence permit in case you stay longer than three months in the Netherlands. A residence permit can be obtained from the IND.
If you are a national of a country subject to the Dutch visa requirement for more than three months’ stay, you will have to apply for a special visa: a provisional residence permit, an MVV (Machtiging Voorlopig Verblijf).

Working on a self-employed basis as national of non-EU / non-EEA country and non-Swiss
In this case you will have to meet several economic criteria before starting an enterprise in the Netherlands:
  • You are qualified to run the business in question.
  • You have a business plan.
  • Your business serves an essential Dutch interest, i.e. “added value” for the Netherlands.
The IND does not weigh these criteria itself; the Ministry of Economic Affairs is requested to review your situation.

Review of economic added value
The Ministry of Economic Affairs awards points for each criterion. You will need a minimum of 30 points for each criterion (total number for all criteria: 300).

You should always contact the IND to find out about the procedure involved in testing the economic interest of the enterprise you intend to start. For nationals of some countries, for example Turkey, special rules apply on the basis of treaties between the EU and these countries. And when you are from the United States of America, it is important to know there is the so-called ‘Nederland-Amerikaans'  vriendschapsverdrag’.

Taking your business from abroad

The Dutch comparative companies Act recognises all foreign legal entities except businesses owned by one man or one woman. If you run a one-person business in your country of origin and you can prove this, for example by submitting a copy of registration in a commercial register in that country, you can bring this enterprise to the Netherlands and have it registered at the Chamber of Commerce as a Dutch one-man or -woman business.

Other legal foreign entities or foreign business forms are simply registered as a foreign legal entity with commercial activities.

Please note that you will still have to comply with the IND residency rules

Starting a branch office in the Netherlands
There is a question of a branch when long-lasting business operations, which form part of the foreign enterprise, are (being) conducted in the Netherlands. A branch can be: a sales office or a production company, but also a representative office. It does not have an independent legal form, but is a part of the foreign enterprise.

Dutch law recognises foreign legal entities. In other words: the foreign legal entity wishing to start activities in the Netherlands needs not be converted into a Dutch legal form.

A business plan is essential
No matter small or big the business is, a business plan will help you identify areas of strengths and weaknesses.

Banks require a business plan when you take out a loan. Even if you do not need the latter, and financing your enterprise is not a problem, a business plan will definitely help you understand the impact of starting a business.

Get started: Write the plan yourself

Crucial questions you should ask are:
  • Which legal form will best suit the enterprise?
  • Which products or services will you offer?
  • Who will be your clients?
  • Promotional activities to get contracts?
  •  How to optimize visibility to your target group?
  • Which prices and fees?
  • Financial plan (available budgets, expected turnover, investments)?
  • Which insurances do you need?
  • Permits and/or licences required?
  • Administrational organisation, which form?
  • What should be included in your General Terms and Conditions – if applicable?
Business plan formats can be obtained from various private parties that specialise in supporting starters. Just surf the internet.  Small business planner at is a useful site.

Employment law issue: employed or self-employed?
If you go freelance, you should pay extra attention to your situation, because the term 'freelancer' is not a definition recognized by law. Freelancers operate somewhere in between being self-employed and being in paid employment.

In order to designate the employment relationship while starting your business, it is important to consider different contracts and apply for a Verklaring Arbeidsrelatie (VAR) at the Tax Administration.

Registration forms
The registration forms can be downloaded from the Chamber of Commerce website. As a statutory requirement, all forms are in Dutch and have to be completed in Dutch. Translations in English of forms 6, 11 and 13 are available to assist you while filling in the Dutch form to be handed in.
Registration is not free of charge. When you register a business, a fee will be due for the calendar year the enterprise is registered in. After that initial year, an annual fee will be charged in the first quarter of each year. The total sum of this contribution depends on the legal form.

After registration
Once the enterprise has been registered, it is the owner or partner’s responsibility to keep the information up-to-date. With a BV the manager authorised to act on behalf of the BV is responsible.

Permits and Licences
Most business activities can be performed without any permits or licences, but for some activities, like catering business, transport or taxi firm, you do need a licence. And an environmental permit may be required if your products or business operations negatively affect the environment. Permits and licences can be applied for at the municipality or at the provincial authorities.

Check how you can use your degree or diploma for your business in the Netherlands. International Credential Evaluation:

Termination / dissolution of the enterprise

When transferring or selling your company, you will have to comply with a number of rules and regulations. You should also enter information about the sale into the Trade Register and reach a settlement with the Tax and Customs Administration. A business transfer within the family involves several other tax aspects.

Chambers of Commerce
The Dutch Chambers of Commerce provide information on starting a business, legal forms, registration in the trade register, international trade etc. We have accumulated knowledge, contacts and partnerships, which makes it the essential reference point for every firm doing or seeking to do business.

Drop by for specific information
Apart from general information, the Chambers of Commerce will be glad to provide you with further details regarding your specific position:  either at the start of your business or while running it. 

If you are located and/or interested in the Region Amsterdam:
Call 020-5314684 or send an email to for a consultation with one of our specialists of the Bedrijfsvoorlichting department.


You can find detailed information on starting a business in the Netherlands at the KVK website in the English lanaguage at:


1 reaction to this article

slave posted: 2013-06-13 12:28:25

You dont have anything about the HBD and how they send you a bill and do nothing for small businesses

1 reaction to this article

slave posted: 2013-06-13 12:28:25

You dont have anything about the HBD and how they send you a bill and do nothing for small businesses

Discussion Forums

Business and Finance in the Netherlands

Expatica's Midweek Currency Update

Learning Dutch

EXTRA course Dutch for non-Dutch at Volksuniversiteit Amsterdam

Community Noticeboard The Netherlands | Expat Events

US CPAs presenting at the "i am not a tourist" Expat Fair

Sport in the Netherlands

Any powerkiters out there?

Sport in the Netherlands

Seeking free place to practice Archery

participate in the forums

ask your question
find the business you need
Inside Expatica
Setting up home in the Netherlands

Setting up home in the Netherlands

A guide to telephone, internet and television along with utility services water, electricity and gas in the Netherlands.

Dutch immigration and residency regulations

Dutch immigration and residency regulations

Lost in the Dutch immigration system? Look no further than this guide compiled for our Survival Guide 2012.

A brief introduction to the Netherlands

A brief introduction to the Netherlands

Expatica offers a whistle-stop tour of life in the modern Netherlands.

Giving birth in the Netherlands

Giving birth in the Netherlands

The challenges and benefits of the maternity system in the Netherlands and how it differs to other countries.