Museums in Luxembourg
Expatica presents its selection of museums in Luxembourg.
National Museum of History and Art
The Visual Arts section of this museum in the capital provides an opportunity to view a wide range of 18th to 20th century Luxembourgish painting. Of special interest are pictures by Joseph Kutter, Dominique Lang, Eugène Mousset, Jean-Pierre Beckius, Nico Klopp and Auguste Trémont. There are also post-impressionist watercolours by Sosthène Weis, as well as sculptures by Auguste Trémont and Lucien Wercollier. An unquestionably original contemporary art collection is also on display at the museum.
L- 2345 Luxembourg
Phone: 479 330-1
Fax: 479 330-271
"Natur musée" Museum of Natural History
Natural history in this museum is experienced as a real exploration of the world. Internationally famous modern permanent and temporary exhibitions present the natural sciences from a different angle. Throughout the year, the "natur musée" offers a programme of lectures, guided tours and workshops for all ages.
25, Rue Münster
Phone: 46 22 33-1
Fax: 47 51 52
Museum of the History of the City of Luxembourg
Housed in the former refuge of Orval Abbey and in a few patrician houses in the centre of the old town, this museum relates the history of the city through models, archaeological finds and temporary exhibitions.
14, rue du Saint-Esprit
Phone: +352 4796-4500
Fax: +352 47 17 07
The museum displays objects from more than 150 years of Luxembourg's postal history. Different phone communications equipment, a morse telegraph set and a manual phone switchboard are kept in working order. An original stage-coach (1880), a richly-carved counter and many former postmen's uniforms create a nostalgic atmosphere.
Corner Place de la Gare / Rue d'Epernay
Phone: 4088 7213
Tram and Bus museum
This museum is located on the premises of the City Bus department in Hollerichand includes exhibits such as a historical horse-drawn coach, old tramway carriages and models of buses, as well as historical uniforms. Numerous photos and documents illustrate the developments of city transportation since 1875.
63, Rue de Bouillon
Phone: 4796 2385
Fax: 29 92 09
Museum of Banking
Come and learn about 140 years of banking tradition and innovation at this museum in the Head Office of the Luxembourg State Bank and Savings. The development of the bank and the role of finance through time, its contribution to Luxembourg's prosperity, and the services it offers today will be are presented.
1, place de Metz
Fax: 4015 5904
When the Nazis were occupying the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (1940-44), the station of Hollerich, situated a few hundred metres from Luxembourg Central Station, became one of the main centres of deportation. In this location, thousands of political deportees and young people were recruited by force into labour services or into the German "Wehrmacht" and were shipped away to an undertain future. The memorial pays homage to the victims of Nazism, and complements the existing monuments and museums that commemorate our compatriots' heroic resistance, and the deportees who perished in the concentration camps.
3 a, Rue de la Déportation
Phone: 2478 8191
The "Casino Luxembourg - Forum d'art contemporain"
The "Casino Luxembourg - Forum d'art contemporain" operates in the same way as a "Kunsthalle" [an arts centre with no permanent collection], and throughout the year puts on exhibitions of contemporary art, with emphasis on the diversity and complexity of current approaches.
Casino Luxembourg, Forum for Contemporary Art
41 Rue Notre Dame
Phone: 22 50 45
Fax: 22 95 95
Musée d'Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean
Situated on the new "Park Dräi Eechelen" and opened in July 2006, the Musée d‘Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean was designed by Ieoh Ming Pei and was built at the old Fort Thüngen, which is based on plans drawn up by Vauban. "Be the Artists' Guest" is the guiding concept of Mudam. Open to the many ways of expression used today, it gives carte blanche to artists and designers to put together the form and content of this new art venue, which aims to be alive with exchange and education.
3, Park Dräi Eechelen
Phone: (+352) 45 37 85-1
Fax: (+352) 45 37 85-400
Wine and Folklore Museum "A Possen"
This museum is housed in a 17th century vintner's house and gives a glimpse of the winegrowers' way of life and working methods in previous centuries.
1a Rue A Sandt
Phone: 23 69 73 53 (museum)
Family of Man Photography Exhibition
"Family of Man" is one of the world's largest photo exhibitions. Realised in 1955 by Edward Steichen for the New York Museum of Modern Art, it is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Phone: 92 96 57
Phone. : (+ 352) 92 96 57
Fax: (+ 352) 92 96 58
Family of Man Photography Exhibition
Folklore & Doll & Toy Museum
Here are two museums, in adjoining former mansions, for the price of one. The Folklore Museum has a number of rooms displaying furniture from the 18th century. Upstairs, the Doll & Toy museum appeals to children of all ages. There are antique dolls, Barbie dolls, miniatures, teddy bears -- over 500 dolls in all. The museum of toys has a variety of metal toys, miniature railways, dolls and dollhouses, rocking horses, steam engines, tin soldiers and a lot of other magnificent surprises.
9, Grand Rue
Phone: (00352) 92 02 28
Museum of Rural Life - "A Schiewesch"
Two restored old farmhouses in the centre of the village have been converted into an extremely well-stocked museum of rural life. No fewer than 1200 pieces are on display in twenty-one different rooms, as living witnesses of former times. The barns shelter a magnificent collection of antique farm machinery.
Phone: (00352) 979820
Fax: (00352) 979819
Ride an industrial train that runs partly through iron ore galleries, linking Fond-de-Gras with Lasauvage.
Phone: 26 50 41 24
Fax: 50 47 07
National Mine Museum
The museums exhibits include mining tools, both ancient and modern; machines used to extract the iron ore; documents, maps, diagrams, photos; and work in the mine from the 19th century until today.
Carreau de la Mine Walert
Phone: 56 56 88
Fax: 26 56 05 03
Victor Hugo House
The celebrated French writer Victor Hugo (1802-1885) spent several months in political exile in the town of Vianden in 1862, 1863, and 1871. This museum was founded in 1935, 50 years after the death of the poet, and was renovated in 2002, bicentenary of the poet's birth.
37 Rue de la Gare
Phone: 26 87 40 88
Fax: 26 87 40 99
Copper Mine Museum
Discover a fascinating world of stones in the "River Our Nature Park" during a visit of the copper mine museum, some 4 miles (6km) north of Vianden. Walk along the geological discovery path to the inactive copper mine. Descend into the old galleries and learn how copper was extracted in former times
in Stolzembourg / Putscheid
Phone: 84 93 25 27
Fax: 84 93 25 72
Museum of Music
Still a modest place, Luxembourg's first Museum of Music--opened in 1994--brings to life the history of the ‘Harmonie Grand-Ducale Municipale' (Luxembourg City Wind Orchestra) and traces the development of fanfares and brass bands in Luxembourg. Visitors can learn about the last 200 years of music history in Luxembourg. In addition to instruments, old music scores and photographs, visitors may also visit the audio centre. An educational service is planned for the future.
9 avenue Nicolas Kreins
Phone: 95 74 44
Fax: 95 75 56
Petya Vetseva / Expatica
Photos: National Mine Museum (headline photo), National Museum of History and Art, Postal Museum, Family of Man Photography Exhibition
Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.