Mubarak not asked for medical help in Germany: minister

8th February 2011, Comments 0 comments

Germany's foreign minister said Tuesday Hosni Mubarak had not asked for medical treatment in the country, as his Luxembourg counterpart urged him to take the embattled Egyptian president in if requested.

Amid media reports that Mubarak could seek extended medical leave in the country, Guido Westerwelle told reporters: "I am not currently aware of such a request and therefore see no reason ... to contribute to the speculation."

"This debate stems from the fact that President Mubarak has already received medical treatment in Germany several times in the past," added the minister.

Mubarak, who on Tuesday was facing continued protests calling for his resignation, has previously undergone care in Germany at least twice.

And respected news magazine Der Spiegel has reported that advanced talks are ongoing "with appropriate hospitals", citing in particularly the Max-Grundig clinic in the town of Buehl in southern Germany near the French border.

Last year, the 82-year-old had his gall bladder and a growth from his small intestine removed in an operation at the University of Heidelberg hospital, making a full recovery.

Westerwelle's comments followed earlier remarks by Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn who urged Berlin to allow Mubarak to receive medical treatment in Germany if he requests it.

If Mubarak were to seek such treatment, "Germany should not refuse," Asselborn told the Tagesspiegel daily in an interview to appear on Wednesday.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article