Luxembourg's public holidays 2017 and other important dates
Here is a list of important Luxembourg holidays in 2017, including Luxembourg bank holidays, Luxembourg school holidays, daylight savings, and Mother's and Father's Days.
Whether you're living in Luxembourg or just visiting, it's important to note these important Luxembourg holidays as many businesses typically close. In Luxembourg, the French word for public holiday is un jour férié, the German word is gesetzliche Feiertage and the Luxembourgish word is Feierdag.
There are 10 official Luxembourg bank holidays: New Year’s Day, Easter Monday, 1 May, Ascension Day, Whit Monday, the Luxembourg National Day, Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas Day and the second day of Christmas (Saint Etienne/Boxing Day). There are also additional religious public holidays in Luxembourg, such as Good Friday and the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Some of Luxembourg's holidays aren't bank holidays in Luxembourg but still widely celebrated, such as Carnival Monday and Kermesse, the Annual Summer Fair; these are typically unofficial but customary holidays (jour férié d'usage).
When Luxembourg public holidays fall on a Thursday or Tuesday, it is common practice to 'make the bridge' (faire le pont) by taking off the Friday or Monday to make a long weekend. Luxembourg's bank holidays that fall on a Sunday are usually observed on the following Monday. If a public holiday in Luxembourg falls on a weekend then employers must, by law, grant employees a compensatory day off within three months.
Save this list of Luxembourg bank holidays in 2017, plus other important holidays in Luxembourg and Luxembourg's school holidays.
Luxembourg bank holidays 2017
- Sunday 1 January: New Year's Day
- Friday 14 April: Good Friday
- Sunday 16 April: Easter Day
- Monday 17 April: Easter Monday
- Monday 1 May: May Day/Labour Day
- Thursday 25 May: Ascension Day
- Sunday 4 June: Whit Sunday
- Monday 5 June: Whit Monday
- Friday 23 June: National Day (Grand Duke's Birthday)
- Tuesday 15 August: Assumption Day
- Friday 1 September: Luxembourg City Kermesse (jour férié d'usage – Luxembourg city only)
- Wednesday 1 November: All Saints' Day
- Sunday 24 December: Christmas Eve (afternoon)
- Monday 25 December: Christmas Day
- Tuesday 26 December: St Stephen's Day (Saint-Étienne)
Important Luxembourg holidays
- Sunday 26 February: Carnival (jour férié d'usage)
- Sunday 27 March: Daylight Saving Time starts (clocks go forward one hour)
- Sunday 11 June: Mother’s Day
- Sunday 1 October: Father’s Day
- Sunday 30 October: Daylight Savings Time ends (clocks go back one hour)
- Sunday 31 December: New Year's Eve
Luxembourg school holidays
You can find a list of state school term dates and holidays for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 on the official portal of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Private schools may have slightly different dates so check with the individual school.
For a list of other celebrations in Luxembourg, read Expatica's guide to festivals in Luxembourg.
Click to the top of our guide to Luxembourg holidays.
Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.