US official confirms 'credible, but not specific' Qaeda plot
A US official on Wednesday confirmed reports of an Al-Qaeda plot to attack targets in Western Europe and the United States, but said it was not clear where and when the threat was meant to be launched.
"The threat is, at this point, credible but not specific," said the official, who asked to remain unnamed.
"It's unclear, for instance, precisely where something might occur. For that reason, people shouldn't limit their thinking to the United Kingdom, France, or Germany," the official told AFP.
"And while no one should dismiss the prospect of a Mumbai-style operation, it's entirely conceivable that other modes of attack are in play."
The official's remarks came amid news reports that western intelligence agencies had uncovered an Al-Qaeda plot to launch attacks in Britain, France, Germany and the United States.
The reports said well-armed, commando-style teams of jihadists planned to seize and murder Western hostages in a manner similar to the siege two years ago of two Indian hotels in Mumbai, in which 10 gunmen killed 166 people and injured more than 300.
Intelligence officials in Europe and the United State so far have refused to confirm the alleged terror plot on the record.
US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said in a statement that his office is "not going to comment on specific intelligence, as doing so threatens to undermine intelligence operations that are critical to protecting the US and our allies."
Clapper added: "Information is routinely shared between the US and our key partners in order to disrupt terrorist plotting, identify and take action against potential operatives, and strengthen our defenses against potential threats."
Britain's Home Office, or interior ministry, also refused to comment on the reports, but a spokeswoman told AFP: "We know we face a real and serious threat from terrorism."
The German government meanwhile said it was aware of Al-Qaeda's "long-term" aim to attack Western targets, but had no evidence of any "concrete" plans and that its risk assessment of the security threat was unchanged.
© 2010 AFP