US admits was mistake to miss Paris unity rally
The White House admitted Monday it should have sent a senior official to the massive rally against terrorism in Paris, as President Barack Obama came under fire for failing to travel to France.
"We should have sent someone with a higher profile to be there," White House press secretary Josh Earnest said.
Washington was represented at the event by the US ambassador to France, Jane Hartley.
Earnest said Obama would have liked to have gone himself, but suggested that the security requirements and short planning time had prevented it.
"The security requirements around a presidential level visitor or even a vice president level visitor are onerous and significant," he said.
"In a situation like this they have a pretty significant impact on the other citizens who are trying to participate in a large public event like this."
About 1.5 million people flooded the streets of the French capital Sunday to memorialize the 17 people killed in attacks in Paris that began last week with a massacre at satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo and ended with a hostage standoff at a kosher grocery.
French President Francois Hollande was joined at the march by 50 world leaders, including the Israeli prime minister and the Palestinian president, in a display of unity that made headlines worldwide.
- 'You let the world down' -
Yet the failure of Obama, his deputy Joe Biden or a senior cabinet official to join the rally angered many US commentators. Many accused Obama of letting down ally France.
Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday he would travel to Paris after wrapping up his tour of South Asia.
Adding to the sense of dismay among some American pundits and lawmakers, US Attorney General Eric Holder had been in Paris for a meeting on terrorism, but even he did not join the rally.
CNN journalist Jake Tapper, one of the television news channel's main anchors covering the attacks in Paris, spoke of his "shame" at the lack of high-ranking US representation.
"I say this as an American -- not as a journalist, not as a representative of CNN -- but as an American: I was ashamed," Tapper wrote in a blog on CNN's website.
The tabloid New York Daily News issued a blunter indictment of the no-show in a front-page headline addressed to American officials: "You let the world down."
- 'Not about us' -
US officials pointed out that Kerry was on a longstanding trip to India that made it impossible to attend.
Washington officials also say that the security circus surrounding any trip by a US president or vice president may have risked deflecting attention away from the spirit of Sunday's occasion.
"For once this is not about us," a US official said.
Yet the explanations failed to stem the tide of criticism, particularly from Obama's Republican foes.
"Our President should have been there, because we must never hesitate to stand with our allies," said Republican Ted Cruz.
Marco Rubio, who like Cruz is seen as a possible Republican challenger for the White House in 2016, also criticized the absence but said he understood the argument that presidential security may have been disruptive.
"I thought it was a mistake not to send someone," Rubio said. "There are a plethora of people they could have sent. I think in hindsight, I would hope that they would do it differently."
Privately, French officials played down the alleged snub, and the French embassy in Washington insisted that Paris was fully satisfied by their ally's response.
"As far as the reactions of the US authorities are concerned, we have been overwhelmed and very moved by them since the beginning of the crisis," the mission spokesman told AFP
He thanked the United States for "numerous public statements by President Obama, Secretary Kerry (in French !), multiple phone calls at the highest level and, of course, the signature of our condolence book here at the embassy by the president."
© 2015 AFP