Two probed over Corsica bombing

10th January 2007, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, Jan 10, 2007 (AFP) - Two men, including a local farming official, were placed under investigation in connection with one of a series of bombings last week in Corsica, judicial officials in Paris said.

PARIS, Jan 10, 2007 (AFP) - Two men, including a local farming official, were placed under investigation in connection with one of a series of bombings last week in Corsica, judicial officials in Paris said.

A warrant has been issued for Joseph Colombani, the president of Corsica's farmers' union, while Alain Ruggieri -- who was injured in a blast in the northern island town of Sollaro -- was placed under temporary detention, the sources said.

The series of overnight bomb blasts across Corsica occurred on January 3, one day before a visit to the Mediterranean island by Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy, the conservative presidential candidate.

They fit the pattern of separatist attacks that have dogged Corsica for three decades.

Five of the blasts went off in and around the southern port of Ajaccio, the island's biggest urban centre, lightly damaging four banks and a tax office.

The sixth blast, in Sollaro, killed a man in his 50s believed to have been carrying the bomb at the time. Ruggieri, a suspected accomplice, was injured and was taken to hospital in a serious condition.

A seventh explosion in Sollaro, apparently caused by a device on a timer planted by the pair, came shortly after the sixth. It destroyed an empty villa.

Separatist bomb attacks frequently target buildings associated with French rule, such as police stations, banks and post offices, as well as holiday villas owned by non-Corsicans, but it is unusual to have so many in one night.

The blasts usually take place at night, when properties are vacant, and are not aimed at claiming lives.

Copyright AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article