Tour loses appeal to ban dope case riders

16th July 2004, Comments 0 comments

LA MONGIE, France, July 16 (AFP) - Tour de France organisers lost an appeal Friday to bar two riders, including one from Lance Armstrong's US Postal team, from the race over doping allegations, a source close to the arbitration said.

LA MONGIE, France, July 16 (AFP) - Tour de France organisers lost an appeal Friday to bar two riders, including one from Lance Armstrong's US Postal team, from the race over doping allegations, a source close to the arbitration said.  

US Postal's Pavel Padrnos of the Czech Republic and Italy's Stefano Zanini of the Quick Step team have both been accused by Italian authorities of possession or use of doping products during the 2001 Tour of Italy.  

The two were among a group of 12 people - 10 riders and two masseurs - ordered to appear before a San Remo court on October 27.  

Tour de France organisers immediately called on UCI, cycling's governing body, to bar the riders from the gruelling race, but it disagreed.  

The issue went to appeal with the arbitration panel of the Professional Cycling Council, which ruled against Tour organisers, allowing the two riders to stay in the race, the source said.  

Slovenian Martin Hvastija and Stefano Casagranda of Italy have already been thrown out of the race after being implicated in the doping affair in Italy.  

UCI argued that Zanini's case had already been dealt with and that Padrnos' was not an issue of the use of doping products.

 

© AFP

 

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article