The legal woes of Dominique Strauss-Kahn

26th July 2013, Comments 0 comments

Here is a breakdown of the legal woes which have led to French former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn's fall from grace:

-- THE NEW YORK MAID AFFAIR --

On May 14, 2011, Strauss-Kahn, widely expected to run as the Socialist candidate in the French presidential elections, is arrested in New York and accused of sexually assaulting maid, Nafissatou Diallo, in his suite at the luxury Sofitel hotel. He denies the accusations.

He is held in prison for four days, but is then freed and placed under house arrest in New York for seven weeks pending a hearing. He resigns as head of the International Monetary Fund.

On August 8 Diallo files a civil suit in New York alleging a "sadistic attack" against her by Strauss-Kahn and seeking unspecified compensation.

On August 23 Judge Michael Obus accepts a prosecution request and dismisses all charges against Strauss-Kahn saying the case had been undermined as a result of constant lying by Diallo.

On September 4 Strauss-Kahn returns to Paris. Two weeks later he admits an "inappropriate, moral failing" in an interview with TF1 television. But he stresses: "What happened involved neither violence nor constraint: no criminal act."

In December 2012, Strauss-Kahn agrees an undisclosed financial settlement -- reported to be in excess of $1.5 million -- with Diallo in a brief hearing before a packed Bronx court.

-- THE CARLTON AFFAIR --

On March 26, 2012, Strauss Kahn is charged by investigating magistrates in the French city of Lille with involvement in an organised prostitution ring, dubbed the "Carlton affair".

The case centres on allegations that business leaders and police officials supplied prostitutes for sex parties in Lille, some of which are said to have taken place at the city's Carlton Hotel.

Prosecutors in June call for the charges against Strauss-Kahn, 64, to be dropped, saying there was insufficient evidence to proceed to trial.

But in a statement Friday, the Lille prosecutors' office said investigating magistrates had ordered Strauss-Kahn and 12 other defendants to face trial, though on the lesser charge of "aggravated pimping as part of a group".

The charge is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up 1.5 million euros ($2 million).

In a statement issued by his lawyers, Strauss-Kahn said he had been expecting the case to be sent to trial and would appear before the court.

Strauss-Kahn has admitted to attending sex parties in France and the United States but has said he did not know some of the women were being paid.

-- THE TRISTANE BANON AFFAIR --

In July 2011, young French writer, Tristane Banon, lodges a complaint against Strauss-Kahn saying she was sexually assaulted in 2003. She drops the suit in October 2011, after a court says the incident happened too long ago.


© 2013 AFP

0 Comments To This Article