Teacher attacked in Paris suburb in 'Daesh warning'
A French nursery school teacher was attacked Monday by a man wielding a box cutter and scissors, citing a "warning" from the Islamic State jihadist group, sources in the police and prosecutor's office said.
The assault comes after IS in November urged its followers to kill teachers in the French education system for teaching secularism and being "in open war against the Muslim family".
The 45-year-old man was stabbed in the side and throat while preparing for his class at a school in Aubervilliers, northeast of Paris, but his life was not in danger, a police source said.
The attacker was dressed in overalls and a balaclava and arrived without a weapon but grabbed what appeared to be a box cutter that was lying in the classroom as well as a pair of scissors.
According to local prosecutors the man shouted: "This is Daesh. This is a warning." Daesh is another name for IS.
The teacher said he had not recognised the voice of the attacker.
The attacker fled after stabbing the teacher and the probe has been taken over by anti-terrorism investigators.
The Islamic State's French-language magazine Dar-al-Islam called in its November edition for its followers to kill teachers in the French education system, describing them as "enemies of Allah".
"This education, in the case of France in particular, is a means of propaganda used to impose the corrupt way of thought established by the Judeo-masonry," it said.
"Muslims must know the French education system is built against religion and Islam as the only religion of truth cannot cohabit with this fanatic secularism."
- School security boosted -
France remains on high alert a month after a wave of shootings and suicide bombings at Paris nightspots killed 130 people and left 350 injured.
The November 13 massacre was the second major attack on French soil in less than a year after 17 people were killed when jihadists targeted the Charlie Hebdo magazine and a Jewish supermarket in January.
Last month's attacks saw France impose a three-month state of emergency, and led to a Europe-wide manhunt for suspects.
Security has also been boosted at schools.
Education Minister Najat Vallaud-Belkacem visited the school saying the attack had taken place "in a context where, yes, schools feel threatened."
"We will continue to reinforce security measures at schools in a context where schools feel threatened," she said.
She said the school would remain closed on Monday and parents would be briefed on what had happened to "avoid anxiety".
Rachel Schneider of the main primary school teachers' union SNUipp said the attack and IS threats had alarmed faculty members.
"We have received many calls from colleagues, who are very worried. They don't necessarily think there will be an organised attack, but they fear this message of murderous madness will inspire unstable people to action," she said.
In March 2012 jihadist Mohamed Merah killed three children and a teacher outside a Jewish school in an attack which also saw him kill three soldiers.
© 2015 AFP