Strauss-Kahn lawyers deny contacting accuser
Lawyers for French politician Dominique Strauss-Kahn on Wednesday denied reports they had been in contact with the woman who says he tried to rape her while she cleaned his hotel room.
"Reports that Mr. Strauss-Kahn's attorneys or representatives are in contact with the complaining witness or her family are false," Benjamin Brafman and William Taylor said in a statement.
French and US media have been full of rumors about possible contacts between Strauss-Kahn's defenders and the alleged victim as the sordid scandal moves slowly to trial in New York state court.
A report in the New York Post this week said offers of payments were being made by Strauss-Kahn "friends" to the woman's impoverished family in the West African country of Guinea.
The lawyers' statement also repeated that they "believe that Mr Strauss-Kahn will be fully exonerated."
Strauss-Kahn, then the head of the International Monetary Fund and a leading French politician, was detained May 14 and later indicted on sex crimes charges.
He has resigned his IMF post and is free on strict bail in Manhattan while awaiting a June 6 court appearance. The hotel maid he allegedly assaulted has not been seen in public since.
© 2011 AFP