Strauss-Kahn investigation 'continuing': prosecutors
The sexual assault case against former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn has not been dismissed and "the investigation is continuing," the prosecution said Wednesday after meeting his defense lawyers.
The case against Strauss-Kahn suffered a major blow last week when prosecutors cast doubt on the credibility of a maid at the luxury Manhattan hotel who accuses him of assaulting and attempting to rape her on May 14.
Wednesday's meeting came amid growing speculation that prosecutors may have to abandon the case against the former head of the International Monetary Fund, who now faces a second attempted rape case back in France.
Strauss-Kahn's lawyer left what he termed a "constructive" meeting with prosecutors Wednesday without commenting on whether the case was moving towards a dismissal.
"We had a constructive meeting. That's all I'm going to say," defense attorney Benjamin Brafman told reporters after exiting the meeting in Manhattan with chief prosecutor Cyrus Vance.
The single-line statement from the prosecutors that "the investigation is continuing" came in an email from the District Attorney's office, which refused further comment on the meeting.
Last week Strauss-Kahn -- a prominent French politician once seen as in line for the presidency -- was released from house arrest after prosecutors disclosed their doubts about the Guinean-born maid.
But the judge and the prosecution also insisted the matter was not closed and that the charges still stand. Strauss-Kahn is due back in court for another hearing on July 18.
© 2011 AFP