Spike in Marseille gun violence claims 11th victim this year

4th April 2016, Comments 0 comments

A man was shot dead Monday in Marseille, bringing to 11 the number of people killed in gun violence since the start of the year in the crime-ridden southern French port, rescue workers said.

A man in his 50s was killed by gunshots to the chest after several shots were fired in the car park of a social housing building.

He was killed two days after a triple homicide.

On Saturday, three men were killed while watching a football match at a cafe with friends, with investigators suspecting a settling of scores in a drug-related affair.

Nineteen people were killed in gun violence in the city in the whole of last year.

Shootings are a regular occurrence in Marseille.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has said 6,000 weapons a year were being seized from criminal groups in Marseille, of which 1,200 were combat rifles and other weapons of war.


© 2016 AFP

0 Comments To This Article