Six alleged terrorist recruiters released

23rd September 2005, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, Sept 23 (AFP) - Six men detained on Monday in northern Paris suburbs on suspicion of recruiting fighters for the anti-US insurgency in Iraq have been released without charge, French officials said Friday.

PARIS, Sept 23 (AFP) - Six men detained on Monday in northern Paris suburbs on suspicion of recruiting fighters for the anti-US insurgency in Iraq have been released without charge, French officials said Friday.

The men, aged between 20 and 25, were set free overnight after four days of questioning at the headquarters of France's domestic intelligence agency, the Directorate for Territorial Surveillance (DST).

Ninety-six hours is the maximum that terrorism suspects can be held in France before being taken before a judge.

French officials believe there is a steady but so far limited movement of French nationals to join insurgents in Iraq, where they estimate six have died in suicide-bombings and clashes with US forces.

In Iraq, the US military said Friday it had captured a Tunisian national who was recruited from a mosque in France to fight with the insurgents.

Yusef Nur-al-Din Ali Mabruk (also known as Abu Muhammad), admitted to being recruited from a mosque in France, the US military said, giving no details.

He travelled to Iraq by way of Damascus and on to eastern Syria before being smuggled into Iraq, the military said in a statement.

He was arrested last Saturday in the northern Iraqi town of Mosul.

Copyright AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article