Seven dead in weekend motorway accidents

6th June 2005, Comments 0 comments

BOLLENE, France, June 4 (AFP) - At least seven people died Saturday in accidents on motorways in France, local authorities said.

BOLLENE, France, June 4 (AFP) - At least seven people died Saturday in accidents on motorways in France, local authorities said.  

At least five died in a crash between the towns of Bollene and Mondragon in the Provence region of southeast France after a truck veered onto the wrong side of the carriageway, they said.  

The refrigerated Spanish truck, carrying food and travelling northwards, crossed the central reservation and hit at least three vehicles before overturning and catching fire.  

The fire brigade said the truck driver survived the crash and the blaze was being brought under control by some 60 firefighters sent to the scene with four ambulances, six fire trucks and a specialist vehicle for freeing the victims from the wreckage.  

The pile-up caused a 40-kilometre (25-mile) tailback of southbound traffic.  

Two people were also killed and four others seriously injured near the northern city of Reims, where a car is thought to have crossed the central reservation and hit a vehicle head-on travelling in the opposite direction, according to an initial inquiry.  

The crash barriers had been removed at the site of the accident, probably due to road works, and replaced by cones.

© AFP

Subject: French News

0 Comments To This Article