Saudis seize vehicle used by Frenchmen's killers

12th March 2007, Comments 0 comments

RIYADH, March 12, 2007 (AFP) - Saudi security forces have seized the vehicle used by assailants who killed four Frenchmen in an ambush north of the Muslim holy city of Medina last month, the interior ministry said on Monday.

RIYADH, March 12, 2007 (AFP) - Saudi security forces have seized the vehicle used by assailants who killed four Frenchmen in an ambush north of the Muslim holy city of Medina last month, the interior ministry said on Monday.

A brief ministry statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency did not elaborate on the circumstances of the seizure.

Last Tuesday, the ministry announced that it had made a number of arrests and had launched a manhunt for two fugitive suspects wanted over the February 26 attack.

The slain Frenchmen were among a group of nine members of three French families returning to their homes in Riyadh after visiting the historic site of Madain Saleh, a popular destination for Western expatriates.

The interior ministry quoted survivors as saying two individuals opened fire with machine guns on the families after they lost their way in a desert area, 90 kilometres (55 miles) from Medina.

The attack was the first in three months against Westerners in Saudi Arabia. The oil-rich kingdom was rocked by a spate of bombings and shootings blamed on suspected Al-Qaeda militants that started in May 2003, triggering a relentless security crackdown on Islamist extremists.

The interior ministry has since warned Western governments of the danger of further attacks on foreigners in the kingdom and the British and US embassies have joined the French in issuing warnings to their nationals.

Copyright AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article