Sadists wanted to torture and brand girl
18 May 2007, BRUSSELS – Two Frenchmen who appeared to be good fathers, with steady jobs and a clean criminal record, hatched a monstrous plan over the past few months to kidnap a little girl, torture her for a weekend and brand her before releasing her, so that she would never forget what happened to her. The Gazet van Antwerpen reports.
18 May 2007
BRUSSELS – Two Frenchmen who appeared to be good fathers, with steady jobs and a clean criminal record, hatched a monstrous plan over the past few months to kidnap a little girl, torture her for a weekend and brand her before releasing her, so that she would never forget what happened to her. The Gazet van Antwerpen reports.
An intense investigation in which a Belgian undercover officer posed as a paedophile allowed police to foil their plans.
The two men, a 49-year-old office worker from Rouen and a 40-year-old house painter from Nice, met each other online using the names 'Diablo' and 'Heliot'.
A Belgian internet surfer ended up in their chat room on 26 March and alerted the Child Focus hotline. The anonymous surfer warned of a "second Dutroux case" because of the Frenchmen's plans to kidnap and abuse a child.
The Belgian and French authorities took the case very seriously. A Belgian investigator posed as a paedophile and engaged the two Frenchmen in chats.
After some time he offered to take part in raping the child. After a few telephone conversations, which helped authorities locate the Frenchmen, the two Frenchmen and the Belgian undercover officer made plans to meet near Rouen, in north-western France. It was at this meeting that the two revealed the scope of their plans.
The man from Nice, who was investigated in 2004 for child abuse but released for lack of evidence, was going to obtain a van with a sliding door and false number plates. The other man was to find an abandoned building where they could lock up the victim, a camera to film everything and sadomasochistic paraphernalia with which to abuse the child, between the ages of 5 and 9, for the weekend.
The Belgian undercover officer was to seek out where a young girl could be kidnapped in Belgium. He also had to find masks and chloroform to knock the girl unconscious. 'Heliot', the man from Nice, himself a father of two small children, confided in the Belgian officer during the last weekend of April that he would be babysitting the 9-year-old daughter of a friend on Wednesday 2 May and that he planned to molest the child.
Hervé L. was arrested at his home Nice on the Wednesday in question and taken into custody. When the other Frenchman, 'Diablo', was unable to reach his accomplice for several days, he sought contact with the Belgian undercover agent and made an appointment to view a location where they could chain up the child and rape her.
On Friday last week, 11 May, 'Diablo' took the infiltrator to a France Télécom building five kilometres outside Rouen. The 49-year-old man worked at the telecom company but not at this specific location. He did however have an access badge and know that the building would be empty on the weekend.
In an empty room on the second floor detectives found chains and a camera set up. 'Diablo', whose real initials are C.C., had also obtained branding equipment. The men planned to brand the girl's thigh with the letter 'S' for 'soumise' ("submissive" in French).
Before the Belgian and C.C. parted, they agreed the kidnapping would take place in the very near future. But within an hour 'Diablo' was in handcuffs.
Hilde Van de Voorde, magistrate at the federal public prosecution department in Brussels, says that C.C. claimed at his arrest that he didn't know what had possessed him. "I am glad you've arrested me. I don't know how this would have ended," he reportedly said.
The investigation continues in France. The two arrested men could face ten years in prison.
The undercover officer working on the case also came across another two suspects, a man and a woman, but the investigating magistrate has released the two.
The man is still a suspect of disseminating child pornography but had nothing to do with the kidnapping plans. Belgian Justice Minister Laurette Onkelinx (Socialist PS) said that the case could be solved in France "thanks to a number of new laws, including the controversial law on special investigation methods."
[Copyright Expatica News 2007]
Subject: Belgian news, French news