RugbyU: Missoup faces five month ban if guilty of assault
Toulon forward Olivier Missoup faces a ban of up to five months if found guilty on charges of attacking Montpellier's Remy Martin last month.
That was the suspension called for by French prosecutor Patrick Desjardins when Missoup appeared in court here Monday following the alleged assault on his former Stade Francais teammate after a Top 14 clash on September 30.
Flanker Missoup is accused of "intentional premeditated violence committed in a sporting arena".
The clash occurred in a function room at Montpellier's ground after the home side's 19-6 victory, with Missoup accused of striking Martin with his elbow, prompting a brawl between the players.
Martin required 10 stitches in his lip and filed a complaint about the attack the following day.
The Var Matin regional daily reported last week that Missoup, who is black, claimed to have been racially abused by Martin during the match.
However, Martin rejected the accusations, which he said had left him "deeply shocked and outraged".
Toulon, meanwhile, said that Missoup had been "the victim of characteristic assaults by Remi Martin throughout the whole match".
The magistrate hearing the case on Monday observed: "It is not a question of judging a fight between two rugby players on a pitch but a premeditated attack between one man and another man in a sporting arena."
The prosecutor Desjardins added: "Mr Missoup's mistake was to not have the professional spirit to let his adrenalin subside after the match".
Missoup will hear his fate when the verdict is announced on October 24.
© 2011 AFP