Royal set on second presidential bid

22nd June 2007, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, June 22, 2007 (AFP) - Defeated French presidential candidate Segolene Royal, who is bidding to take over as head of the Socialist Party, said Friday she planned to run again for head of state in 2012.

PARIS, June 22, 2007 (AFP) - Defeated French presidential candidate Segolene Royal, who is bidding to take over as head of the Socialist Party, said Friday she planned to run again for head of state in 2012.

Asked whether she would seek to carry the Socialist banner five years' from now, she told France 2 television: "It is likely... I want to carry on."

Royal, whose break-up with her partner of 30 years, party leader Francois Hollande, made headlines this week, is angling to take over his job when he steps down next year.

She kicked up a storm this week by disowning key parts of her presidential platform -- the extension of the 35-hour week and a big hike in the minimum wage -- as unrealistic, saying they were imposed on her by the party old guard.

She repeated a call for the Socialist Party, whose leaders meet on Saturday to draw lessons from their electoral defeat, to "quickly consult" party members on the need for renovation and reform.

Though her authority is contested by rival party heavyweights, Royal enjoys the support of a majority of rank-and-file party activists, many of whom signed up last year to back her presidential bid.


Copyright AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article