Rio-Paris plane salvage could start within a month: France

4th April 2011, Comments 0 comments

Salvage operations could begin within a month to recover passengers' bodies and the wreckage of an Air France jet that plunged into the Atlantic almost two years ago, a minister said Monday.

"A tender has been launched" for the salvage work, French Transport Minister Nathalie Kosciusco-Morizet told reporters, adding that bids had to be in by Thursday and work should begin "within three weeks to a month".

Investigators announced on Sunday that a fourth and final attempt to find the wreckage of the Airbus A330 that crashed in June 2009 en route from Rio de Janeiro to Paris had been successful and promised to release photographs.

Kosciusco-Morizet said bodies had been seen in the remains of the cabin photographed by three Remus autonomous submarines.

All 228 people on board the flight perished.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article