Prosecutor appeals no-trial ruling in infanticide case
French prosecutor is to appeal a decision to drop charges of complicity against a man whose wife has confessed to killing her three newborn babies.
ORLEANS, France, March 20, 2008 - A French prosecutor is to appeal a
decision to drop charges of complicity against a man whose wife has confessed to killing her three newborn babies, officials said Wednesday.
Veronique Courjault, 38, is to stand trial for murder after admitting
killing two babies born in South Korea in 2002 and 2003, hiding their bodies
in the family freezer, and a third child born in France in 1999.
An investigating judge last week dismissed the case against her husband,
Jean-Louis Courjault, who was under investigation for complicity to murder.
But prosecutors at the court of appeal in the central city of Orleans said
Wednesday they had decided to appeal that decision.
In July 2006, Jean-Louis Courjault found the bodies of two babies at the
couple's home in the South Korean capital Seoul, where he was working for the
US car parts company Delphi.
Veronique Courjault initially denied any knowledge of the infants.
But in 2006, after DNA tests confirmed she and her husband were the
parents, she admitted to smothering both of them and an earlier child, whom
she says she suffocated and burned in the family fireplace.
Both she and her husband maintain he knew nothing about the killings.
Jean-Louis Courjault, who now lives with the couple's two other children in
central France, had said last week's decision to drop charges against him was
"a relief for myself and my children."