Prince Albert wins case against Paris-Match

30th June 2005, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, June 29 (AFP) - Monaco's Prince Albert II won EUR 50,000 in damages Wednesday against the French magazine Paris-Match for its recent 10-page spread and photos alleging he had a love child with a Togolese stewardess.

PARIS, June 29 (AFP) - Monaco's Prince Albert II won EUR 50,000 in damages Wednesday against the French magazine Paris-Match for its recent 10-page spread and photos alleging he had a love child with a Togolese stewardess.

The court in the Paris suburb of Nanterre that found the prince's right to privacy had been violated also ruled that Paris-Match and its owner, Hachette Filipacchi, pay EUR 4,000 in court costs and publish a front-page declaration of the verdict in its next issue, according to the judgement obtained by AFP.

Prince Albert -- who became Monaco's ruler upon the death of his father Prince Rainier in April -- has said through his lawyer he plans to sue several European publications for reporting on the alleged affair with flight attendant Nicole Coste.

The lawyer, Thierry Lacoste, told AFP in May that suits were also to be filed against Britain's Daily Mail and the German weekly Bunte.

In the Paris-Match interview published in early May, Coste, 33, described her supposed years-long affair with Albert, whom she said she met on a Paris-Nice flight in July 1997, and her claims that a paternity test confirmed that the 47-year-old prince was the father of her son Alexandre.

The article was illustrated with several pictures of Albert holding a child in his arms.

The prince, the second child and only son of Rainier and the late Grace Kelly, is a bachelor.

Lacoste told AFP that Albert was to issue a statement on the reports about the child on July 7, when the official period of mourning over Rainier's death comes to a close.

Copyright AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article