Polanski rape case court hearing cancelled
Polanski remains a fugitive from US justice since 1978, having been arrested in California after the parents of a 13-year-old girl complained to police.
A statement from the Los Angeles Superior Court said the California Court of Appeal had stayed a hearing scheduled to take place on Wednesday in which Polanksi's laywers were to argue for the dismissal of charges.
It was not clear if a further hearing would be scheduled.
Los Angeles prosecutors earlier this month argued the Paris-based Polanski was not entitled to the hearing because he had "voluntarily remained a fugitive from justice" since 1978.
In December Polanski's lawyers said they had new evidence that the film-maker, 75, was a victim of prosecutorial misconduct in the case, in which he admitted at the time to "unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor."
Born in France of Polish parents and raised in Poland, Polanski was arrested in California after the parents of a 13-year-old girl complained to police. He fled the United States after a plea agreement.
The charges against him were not dropped and Polanski never again set foot in the United States, not even to receive the 2003 Oscar awarded him for best director in "The Pianist."
Polanski, acclaimed for "Chinatown" (1974) and "Rosemary's Baby" (1968), is still a US fugitive.