Polanski lawyer threatens to sue latest accuser

15th May 2010, Comments 0 comments

One of filmmaker Roman Polanski's lawyers threatened to sue a British actress who on Friday accused his client of having sexually abused her when she was 16 years old.

Attorney Georges Kiejman told French news channel i-Tele he was "absolutely astonished" by the allegations from Charlotte Lewis, who at a press conference in Los Angeles Friday said that Polanski had abused her nearly 30 years ago.

If she repeated the allegations, then once he knew more about them "it is probable that we take her to court," Kiejman said.

The fresh allegation came as Polanski, under house arrest in Switzerland, fights extradition to the United States to face sentencing in a 1978 child sex case.

Kiejman noted that Lewis had had a part in Polanski's 1986 flop "Pirates", about three years after she now said the director had sexually abused her.

At her press conference at the Beverly Hills offices of attorney Gloria Allred, Lewis said she was speaking out to counter suggestions from Polanski's legal team that his earlier case had been an isolated incident.

"I am also a victim of Roman Polanski," Lewis said in a prepared statement.

"He sexually abused me in the worst possible way when I was just 16 years old."

In the 1978 case, Polanski is alleged to have given a 13-year-old girl champagne and drugs during a 1977 photo shoot at the Hollywood Hills home of actor friend Jack Nicholson before having sex with her despite her protests.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article