Nothing to suggest Kadhafi in Niger convoy: France

6th September 2011, Comments 0 comments

France has no information to suggest Moamer Kadhafi has entered Niger from Libya despite rumours the ousted leader crossed in a 200-vehicle convoy, President Nicolas Sarkozy's office said on Tuesday.

France, which has been spearheading NATO operations to help rebels get rid of Kadhafi, has "no information allowing us to believe that Colonel Kadhafi is in the convoy," an Elysee palace spokesman told AFP, asking not to be named.

The convoy entered former French colony Niger late Monday and drove through the city of Agadez, a stronghold of the former Tuareg rebellion the ousted Libyan leader once supported.

"There are persistent rumours that Kadhafi or one of his sons are travelling in the convoy," a Niger military source said on condition of anonymity, adding that the convoy included civilian and military vehicles.

France's defence ministry said earlier that it also had "no information" on Kadhafi's presence in the convoy.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article