No ransom demand for abducted Frenchmen in Nigeria

5th August 2008, Comments 0 comments

No ransom demands have been made for the two Frenchmen who were seized from a bar in southern Nigeria on Saturday.

5 August 2008

LAGOS - No ransom demand has been made for the two Frenchmen abducted by gunmen in oil-rich southern Nigeria, Rivers State police said Tuesday.

"No group has claimed responsibility for the abduction and no demand for ransom has been made," police spokeswoman Rita Abbey said, adding that a police investigation into the incident is still in progress.

Gunmen seized the two from a bar in Onne port near the oil hub of Port Harcourt on Saturday evening.

Rivers State police spokeswoman Rita Abbey said the two men are members of the crew of the oil services tug, the Bourbon Apsara.

The French offshore oil services and shipping company Bourbon confirmed in a statement on the Internet that two of its French staff had been kidnapped.

"Bourbon confirms that two of its French officers, assigned to the Bourbon Apsara, were kidnapped following an attack carried out ashore Saturday 2 August .. close to the oil town of Port Harcourt," the company said.

"Bourbon is working in close cooperation with the French ministry for Foreign and European Affairs and the local authorities (police, Nigerian special forces and goverment) with a view to obtaining their liberation," the company said.

The most prominent armed group in the region, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) told AFP it was not involved in the kidnapping.

[AFP / Expatica]

0 Comments To This Article