New hearing called on Strauss-Kahn bail: court

20th May 2011, Comments 0 comments

Lawyers for Dominique Strauss-Kahn posted $1 million bail and a $5 million insurance bond Friday, but other conditions for his release were still to be met and a new hearing has been organized, the court said.

"The judge has signed the bond," a court official told AFP, confirming the rest of the information and adding a new hearing had been called for 1830 GMT to discuss the "other conditions" that must be satisfied for his release.

Strauss-Kahn, who has spent the last four nights inside Rikers Island jail after being charged with alleged sexual assault, had been expected to be freed Friday wearing an electronic ankle bracelet and under house arrest.

His lawyers have to satisfy judge, Michael Obus, that he will be placed under 24-hour surveillance, complete with video cameras and an around-the-clock armed guard.

The 62-year-old former head of the International Monetary Fund has been indicted on charges of sexually assaulting, attempting to rape and unlawfully imprisoning a 32-year-old chambermaid in his hotel suite on Saturday.

Journalists were staking out a glitzy-looking apartment building -- the Bristol Plaza on East 65th Street in Manhattan -- which several reports said had been rented by Strauss-Kahn's wife, Anne Sinclair.

But US media reported that Strauss-Kahn's departure from jail may have to be put on hold after Bristol Plaza residents found out about his plans to move in and complained.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article