Leaders say 'unthinkable' for Kadhafi to stay
The leaders of Britain, France and the United States said a Libyan future including Moamer Kadhafi is "unthinkable", as the defiant fist-pumping strongman toured the streets of Tripoli.
Western powers struggled meanwhile to stay united over a NATO-led air campaign that has so far failed to budge Kadhafi from power.
And on the ground, Libyan rebels fired off barrages of rockets from west of Ajdabiya Friday as they advanced towards the key eastern oil refinery town of Brega to see if pro-regime forces had been rolled back by NATO warplanes.
In a bid to put on a united front, British Prime Minister David Cameron, France's President Nicolas Sarkozy and US President Barack Obama penned a joint article dismissing a Libyan future with Kadhafi as "unthinkable" and saying his staying on would represent an "unconscionable betrayal" by the rest of the world.
"It is unthinkable that someone who has tried to massacre his own people can play a part in their future government," said the article, which appeared Friday in the London Times, The Washington Post and French daily Le Figaro.
France's defence minister Gerard Longuet said in Paris that the US, Britain and France are thinking beyond the current UN resolution authorising action to protect Libyan civilians and now seek regime change.
He admitted the statement by the three leaders went beyond the terms of the current UN mandate.
Asked on LCI television whether, in pushing for Kadhafi's overthrow, the coalition risked "moving beyond the UN resolution", Longuet said: "Resolution 1973? Certainly. It does not address the future of Kadhafi.
"But I think that when three great powers say the same thing, it's important for the United Nations, and perhaps one day the Security Council will make another resolution," he added.
On Thursday, differences between world powers over how to deal with the Libyan crisis began to widen when the BRICS group -- Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa -- urged that "the use of force should be avoided."
Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev went further, arguing that UN Security Council Resolution 1973 did not authorise military action of the kind being carried out in Libya by attack jets from NATO and some Arab countries.
Longuet brushed aside this widening divide in the international community, arguing that Russia, China and Brazil "will naturally drag their feet.
"But which of the great countries can accept that that a head of state can resolve his problems in training cannon fire on his own population? No great power can accept that," he argued.
"I'd like to see, alongside military action, a political opening so that Libyans can come together to imagine for themselves a future without Kadhafi."
Kadhafi's daughter Aisha said calls for her father to step down were an insult to all Libyans.
"To speak of Kadhafi's resignation is a humiliation for all Libyans," she said in a brief statement at her father's Tripoli residence before hundreds of young supporters late Thursday.
Her father had earlier in the day toured the streets of the capital in an open-top 4x4, sporting shades and a hunting hat and hailing bystanders with clenched fists.
"God, Libya, Moamer and no one else," supporters chanted as loud explosions rocked the Bab al-Aziziya neighbourhood home to Kadhafi's residence and a base for most foreign journalists in the capital.
NATO later said raids had targeted the outskirts of the capital.
The European Union and NATO meanwhile deepened their coordination Friday for a potential EU military mission to deliver urgent humanitarian aid to Libya's shell-shocked city of Misrata, diplomats said.
One day after attending an Arab League meeting on Libya in Cairo, EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton met with NATO foreign ministers in Berlin to discuss ties between the two organisations and the situation in Libya.
Any EU mission would have to be coordinated with NATO since the 28-nation military alliance has deployed several warships and jets in the Mediterranean to enforce an arms embargo and a no-fly zone on Libya.
Misrata, which has been besieged by Kadhafi's forces for week, came under heavy attack Thursday by Kadhafi's forces, who fired dozens of Grad missiles and tank shells that killed at least 13 people and wounded 50, a rebel spokesman said.
Libyan rebels Friday fired off barrages of rockets on the western edge of the key crossroads town of Ajdabiya, on the front line between the rebel-held east and the mainly government-held west, an AFP reporter said.
A Libyan rebel convoy fitted with big guns and rocket launchers drove westwards past Ajdabiya to see if pro-regime forces had been rolled back by NATO warplanes the previous day.
The rebel convoy of pick-up trucks had nosed cautiously west, past a point that late Thursday was the scene of a brief exchange of rocket and mortar fire with troops loyal to Kadhafi.
They soon afterwards sent off volleys of rockets but received no return fire, leaving the whereabouts of Moamer Kadhafi's forces unknown.
NATO warplanes were heard flying high above and sound of explosions could be heard in the distance but it was unclear whether they were bombings.
Alliance foreign ministers have played down any rift after France and Britain pressed allies to contribute more combat jets to the mission and intensify the raids against regime tanks and artillery shelling civilians.
But differences remained over the air raids against forces threatening the population, which are being conducted by just six of the 28 allies.
Italy insisted Friday that its fighter jets would not take part in bombardments in Libya, saying that the country was doing enough to support the UN resolution to protect civilian lives.
© 2011 AFP