Jean Paul Gaultier to wind up ready-to-wear fashion

15th September 2014, Comments 0 comments

Jean Paul Gaultier, showman of Paris fashion, is to bow out of ready-to-wear later this month, after nearly 40 years of over-the-top, sometimes provocative collections.

Gaultier's last ready-to-wear collection will be shown on September 27 during the spring/summer 2015 fashion shows in Paris.

The 62-year-old former "enfant terrible" of fashion, who famously designed Madonna's cone bras, will devote himself to couture, the brand's perfume business and other projects, fashion journal Women's Wear Daily said in a report on Monday.

Gaultier told WWD in a letter that the decision had been taken after an "in-depth assessment" on the future of the fashion house in which Spanish fragrance and fashion group Puig has a majority stake.

"We looked at various possibilities considering the present state of the company and we have reached the same conclusion," he said.

"For some time, I have found true fulfilment in working on the haute couture and it allows me to express my creativity and my taste for research and experimentation," he added.

The decision was confirmed to AFP by the Jean Paul Gaultier fashion house.


© 2014 AFP

0 Comments To This Article