Jean-Luc Godard will not collect honorary Oscar in person

26th October 2010, Comments 0 comments

French New Wave director Jean-Luc Godard will not go to Hollywood to collect an Oscar in person for his life's cinematic achievements, the academy that selects the honored recipients said Monday.

The legendary filmmaker, who made his feature directorial debut 50 years ago with the classic movie "Breathless" had been due to receive the award at a dinner event next month.

According to a statement issued by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the 79-year-old "reiterated his thanks for the award" and sent word that he will not be able to receive the honor in person.

The academy in August said it would present honorary awards to Godard and Francis Ford Coppola, director of "The Godfather" and "The Godfather, Part II," which he also produced.

Other honorary awards will be given to British film historian and preservationist Kevin Brownlow and veteran actor Eli Wallach, whose credits include "The Magnificent Seven" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

The statement said Godard "sent his good wishes" to Brownlow, Coppola and Wallach, who he refers to as "the three other musketeers."

The November 13 dinner ceremony will pay tribute to Godard through film clips and commentary by his admirers.

The academy said the award would be accepted on Godard's behalf by the academy, which would arrange for the Oscar statuette to be delivered to the filmmaker in Switzerland after the event.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article