Interpol issues call for info on missing Frenchman

26th April 2011, Comments 0 comments

Global police agency Interpol issued a call Tuesday for information on a Frenchman missing since his wife and children were found buried under the family porch, a prosecutor said.

Interpol has issued a so-called "blue notice" seeking information on Xavier Dupont de Ligonnes, said the prosecutor of Nantes, the city in Brittany where the execution-style murders took place.

The international notice seeks information about a person's identity or activities "in relation to a crime," according to Interpol's website.

Nantes prosecutor Xavier Ronsin said a search notice issued last Friday throughout Europe's visa-free Schengen zone "has not yet yielded positive results."

Dupont de Ligonnes' 49-year-old wife Agnes, daughter Anne, 16, and three sons aged 13 to 21 were found buried in the garden of their family home on April 21.

Autopsy results showed the victims had been "methodically" shot with a .22 calibre firearm similar to one that Dupont de Ligonnes had used during shooting practice at a Nantes rifle club.

The prosecutor said the "last known meal of the couple and three of their four children was in a restaurant in Nantes on the evening of April 3," and the murders probably took place that night or the next.

Son Thomas, who studied at Angers, came home on April 5 and may have been "killed afterwards", Ronsin added.

Testimony that Agnes Dupont de Ligonnes was seen alive on April 7 is being examined.

Also Tuesday, several hundred people -- 450 according to police -- took part in a silent march from downtown Nantes to the family home, carrying white roses and lilies which they placed at the entrance to the house under the glare of press cameras.

"It is a message of love and of hope," said 18-year-old Loraine, as other members of the group, mostly young people, comforted each other with hugs.

"There are no words to describe what has happened. We are all hurting," she said, recalling the eldest son, Arthur, as "a person full of life".

The missing man was last seen on April 15, when he left a budget hotel at Roquebrune-sur-Argens in the Var region on France's Mediterranean coast, abandoning one of the family cars in the car park.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article