International arrest warrant issued for French murder father
An international arrest warrant has been issued for a Frenchman missing since his wife and four children were found buried under the family porch, a prosecutor said Tuesday.
Interpol previously appealed for information on Xavier Dupont de Ligonnes, who is being sought following the execution-style murders in the Brittany town.
"At this stage of the inquiry ... suspicions that he could be responsible for the five murders legally justified the change in his status," said Nantes prosecutor Xavier Ronsin.
"He is still presumed innocent of course, but this judge's warrant (has) the procedural consequence that he may no longer (merely) be held for questioning but may be arrested ... with a view to having him appear before a magistrate," he added.
The prosecutor said however that nothing suggests that Dupont de Ligonnes has left the country.
The missing man's 49-year-old wife Agnes, daughter Anne, 16, and three sons aged 13 to 21 were found buried in the garden of their family home on April 21.
Autopsy results showed the victims had been "methodically" shot with a .22 calibre firearm similar to one that Dupont de Ligonnes had used during shooting practice at a Nantes rifle club.
© 2011 AFP