IMF says it has had no contact with Strauss-Kahn

18th May 2011, Comments 0 comments

The International Monetary Fund said Tuesday that it has not been in touch with managing director Dominique Strauss-Kahn in the three days since his arrest in New York for sexual assault.

"We have not had contact with the managing director since his arrest in New York," said IMF spokesman William Murray in a statement.

"Obviously, it will be important to be in contact with him in due course. We are aware of widespread speculation about the managing director's status," Murray said.

"We have no comment on this speculation, other than to note, as we did earlier this week, that the executive board was briefed informally on developments regarding his arrest in New York. We continue to monitor developments."

Meanwhile, he added, the Fund's number two executive John Lipsky is acting managing director "and the Fund continues its normal work."

Nothing public has been heard since directly from Strauss-Kahn, who was arrested Saturday and formally charged on Monday with seven counts involving sexual assault and attempted rape of a maid in the luxury Times Square Sofitel hotel.

A judge denied him bail and he was remanded to the sprawling Rikers Island prison.

Strauss-Kahn's lawyer says he denies all the charges.

But speculation has grown that Strauss-Kahn will not remain in his job while he fights the charges.

In Europe several leaders and officials have already spoken of ensuring that his replacement, if any, comes from the continent.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article