Generator fault during music festival kills two

22nd June 2005, Comments 0 comments

BORDEAUX, France, June 22 (AFP) - Two people died of carbon monoxide poisoning and 13 were hospitalised, four in a serious condition, after a generator malfunction in a bar in the southwest city of Bordeaux during France's national music festival, emergency services said on Wednesday.

BORDEAUX, France, June 22 (AFP) - Two people died of carbon monoxide poisoning and 13 were hospitalised, four in a serious condition, after a generator malfunction in a bar in the southwest city of Bordeaux during France's national music festival, emergency services said on Wednesday.

The two who died, including the bar's co-manager, were overcome by fumes when they went down into the cellar to find out why the generator, which was powering a small orchestra, had stopped working.

According to early inquiries, the room where the machine had been installed had no proper air vent system, allowing the toxic fumes to accumulate.

The incident happened around midnight (2300 GMT) at the height of a national music festival celebrated all over France, an evening in which thousands of professional and amateur musicians perform on the streets and in pubs and clubs.

© AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article