Gabonese hunger strike official in intensive care: family

15th August 2011, Comments 0 comments

A Gabonese government adviser who last month began a hunger strike in protest against the presence of French troops in his country was admitted to intensive care on Monday, his brother said.

Roland Desire Aba'a launched his protest against the former colonial power on July 14, Bastille Day in France, when he attached himself to a Gabonese flag in Libreville's Independence Square.

"He fell unconscious and I decided to take him to hospital. He is currently in intensive care," Guy-Roger Minko told AFP.

Aba'a, a member of the national economic and social council, has vowed to maintain his protest until French forces leave the country.

A statement released by his supporters on Saturday quoted him saying: "I would happily fall into my grave, proud at having shown... that France, the land of human rights, is nothing more than a self-seeking country."

Aba'a was previously hospitalised on July 25 and said he would continue his protest from home when discharged two days later.

Around 900 troops make up the French mission in Gabon. President Ali Bongo signed a new defence agreement with his French counterpart Nicolas Sarkozy in February last year.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article