Frenchman not included in upcoming batch of executions: Indonesia

25th April 2015, Comments 0 comments

A Frenchman on death row in Indonesia will not be included in an upcoming batch of executions, as he still has a legal appeal outstanding, an official said Saturday.

Asked if reports were true that Serge Atlaoui, 51, would be excluded from the forthcoming batch, Tony Spontana, a spokesman for the Indonesian attorney-general, responded: "Yes, correct".

"All embassies have been invited today to come to Cilacap except for the French because we only gather those whose citizens have finished their legal processes," he told AFP, adding that Atlaoui still had an appeal pending in the State Administrative Court.

Cilacap is the gateway to Nusakambangan, a prison island where the executions will be carried out.

Atlaoui recently lost an appeal to the Indonesian Supreme Court, and his legal team have lodged a further legal bid with the State Court, but this is viewed has having little chance of success.

Jakarta has previously said that all legal avenues have been exhausted and convicts are simply trying to buy time.

However France has mounted a sustained diplomatic campaign to save Atlaoui, with President Francois Hollande on Saturday warning Jakarta there will be "diplomatic consequences" if he is put to death.

Earlier Saturday, two Australians and a Filipina were officially notified by Indonesia they will be executed.

The Australians are Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan, ringleaders of the "Bali Nine" heroin trafficking gang, and mother-of-two Mary Jane Veloso.

The fate of the other convicts in the group, including a Brazilian and four Africans facing execution, was not immediately clear.


© 2015 AFP

0 Comments To This Article